Building Permits & Inspections

The building code helps ensure safety by regulating construction materials and techniques. A building permit is required from the City for new residential and commercial structures, additions, renovations, basement finishes, fireplaces, fire suppression, heating and air conditioning systems and replacements, roof replacements, retaining walls, porches, decks, swimming pools, solar systems, and any structure requiring piers, footings, framing, beams or a roof.

The City provides building and mechanical inspections as part of our construction permitting process. Call the Planning Department at (314) 587-2820 at least 24 hours in advance to schedule your inspection.

Have ready your building permit number, address of work, type of inspection, name and telephone number when you call.

Inspections must be performed in the order shown on the inspection card.

Building Codes

Effective November 2, 2020, the City of Town & Country adopted the 2018 Building Codes that include the: International Building Code, International Existing Building Code, International Fire Code, International Mechanical Code, International Property Maintenance Code, and International Residential Code. Links to the amendments made by the City to these codes can be found below. The code books can be reviewed in-person by calling (314) 587-2820 or through the International Code Council's website by clicking here.

Questions regarding these Codes can be directed to the Planning & Public Works Department at (314) 587-2820.

Building Permit Process

The City of Town and Country reviews and issues applications for building and mechanical. Fire permits for commercial properties are issued through West County EMS & Fire. All electrical and plumbing permits are issued through St. Louis County's Public Works Department. 

To expedite review of your permit application, please be sure to submit all of the following to the Development Office at the Town and Country Municipal Center:

Two sets of Building Plans. Each set must have:
1) Seal and signature of Missouri registered architect or engineer.
2) Two sets of HVAC plans and/or truss plans, if applicable.
3) Indication of contact with subdivision trustees for plans affecting the exterior of a residence.
4) Two site plans, if applicable, drawn to scale with correct dimensions and angles, based on and including a current survey signed and sealed by a land surveyor, and containing the information set out in the Code. For new impervious additions, water-runoff calculations and green-space calculations will be required as well.

Application for Occupancy Permit ($50.00 fee) for new construction, commercial space changes, commercial business name changes and all previously unoccupied space.

If your building permit application is incomplete or does not comply with City codes, staff will discuss necessary changes or revisions with you.

Electrical & Plumbing Permit

Electrical and plumbing permits must be obtained from the St. Louis County Public Works Department. They can be contacted at (314) 615-8504.

Fire Permit - West County EMS & Fire District

All fire permits for commercial properties are issued through West County EMS & Fire District.

Obtaining a fire permit:

You will need to submit the following via web link, hard copies of plans are not accepted.
1) A completed Permit Application (forms are available by clicking here)
2) One (1) electronic copy of a full set of plans in PDF format

Scheduling fire inspections:

Various inspections are required once a permit has been issued. It is the permit holder's sole responsibility to ensure that work does not progress past the point of a required inspection. Typically, for "building permits", inspections are required at framing (with electrical and plumbing in-place and approved for rough-in), ceiling cover and then temporary occupancy and final occupancy.

When work is ready to be inspected, please email or call (636) 227-3030 (email preferred). You must request the inspection at least two (2) business days prior to your desired inspection to ensure your request is received and can be scheduled.